It is an understatement to say that 2020 has been a challenge. We are experiencing unprecedented uncertainty and so much of life feels out of our control.
Yet there are still ways to seek happiness even while we collectively experience the grief, stress, fear, and anxiety this year has wrought.
The next time you find yourself feeling lost, read through this list of these 30 habits that promote happiness. Pick one or two items that resonate with you in the moment.
- Be kind
- Eat healthy, nutritious food
- Move your body – take a walk, ride a bike, dance in your living room
- Meditate – even five minutes can calm and center you
- Be honest – share the truth in a soft yet firm manner
- Be patient with yourself and others
- Smile often
- Love yourself, faults and all
- Forgive easily – let go of that grudge
- Dream big
- Drink lots of water and get enough sleep
- Think positively – negative thoughts don’t serve us
- Believe in yourself
- Express gratitude and appreciation
- Keep an open mind
- Give yourself and others space and grace
- Find the good in others and share it
- Listen to understand rather than to respond
- Choose hope over fear
- Make the most of now
- Exercise self-discipline
- Avoid comparing yourself to others
- Look for the silver lining – it is always there for those who seek it
- See failure as an opportunity for learning and growth
- Spend time with people who lift you up
- Let go of what holds you down and what can’t be changed
- Take time today to connect with one important person in your life
- Breathe deeply
- Take time away from social media and the news – watch something educational, inspiring, or funny
- Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature
If you want to be happy, be. – Leo Tolstoy
If this year has taught us anything, it is that we each can choose to be happy…or not. When we finally let go of our preconceived ideas, of what we expected and anticipated, we can find moments of joy.
Happiness is always there, even during the darkest times.