Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone. ~ G.B. Stern
Letting people know you are grateful to them goes a long way.
Studies show that when people feel appreciated and valued, they are more inclined to reach their goals, strive toward bigger achievements, are happier, healthier, and have stronger relationships with significant others, children, friends, family and coworkers.
How we communicate our appreciation is important. Quite often, we offer generic thanks with statements such as, “Great job!”, “I’m so proud of you”, “Well done”, and “I love you”.
Those sentiments of gratitude are great but when we take the time to tell people the reasons why we appreciate them, how they assisted us and the positive outcome of their actions, that appreciation takes on much more meaning.
Below are 5 things to help you express your appreciation in a meaningful manner.
1. Make “I” statements
- Let others know how you feel and why you appreciate them or their actions.
- “I appreciate you taking the time to make dinner. It was really nice to come home to a wonderful meal after my long, stressful day.”
2. Be specific
- Tell people exactly what you appreciate. General statements such as, “You’re great” aren’t as impactful as, “I appreciate you always being on time.”
3. Recognize the ‘above and beyond’
- When someone does something exceptional, praise and appreciate them for it.
- “I know the deadline was a tight one and I really appreciate your hard work to meet it.”
4. Appreciate the ‘unexceptional’
- Remember that the little things, the ones we often take for granted because they happen so often, need recognition, too.
5. Describe consequences
- What positive outcomes did this person’s actions offer you? Be sure to let them know.
- “Thank you for being my exercise buddy. Your support and camaraderie motivate me to work out when I don’t feel like it.”
15 specific phrases to show appreciation:
- “I appreciate how you…”
- “You were so helpful when you…”
- “I really have a lot of fun with because you…”
- “You have a special gift for…”
- “You made a huge difference by…”
- “I was amazed when you….”
- “I am grateful you are on my team/in my group because you…”
- “I believe in you because you….”
- “I appreciate your help with….because…”
- “I like working with you because…”
- “I am proud of you because…”
- “Your friendship means so much to me because…”
- “I was so impressed when you…because…”
- “I really admire your perserverence when you…”
- “I love you because…”
By letting others know exactly why we appreciate them, we become more grateful for our life. We see the goodness in others, the abundance of what we have, and increase our overall happiness. Thankfulness is a powerful thing.
Do not take anything for granted — not one smile or one person or one rainbow or one breath, or one night in your cozy bed. ~Terri Guillemets
What do you think? Please take a moment to comment and share.
Gratitude…A reminder to appreciate even the smallest moments in a day. Hang ‘gratitude’ in the window with a suction cup or on a branch inside or outside of your home. This is a beautiful and elegant gift to yourself or to those you love. Available for purchase in the Gratitude Habitat Gift Shop.