Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are. ~Marianne Williamson
When we cultivate gratitude, we feel true joy and contentment, despite what we have or don’t have in our life. The Law of Attraction states that like attracts like. This means, when we are grateful for what we already have, we naturally attract more to appreciate.
Many of us find that nurturing and maintaining an on-going attitude of gratitude is challenging. That is because, according to Jack Canfield, we are ‘culturally conditioned to focus on what we don’t have, rather than appreciating what we’ve already received or achieved.’
To reverse this ‘innate’ manner of thinking, here are 6 ways to bring gratitude and joy into each day.
1. Take 7 minutes each morning to write down everything you appreciate in life
2. Make a conscious effort to appreciate at least 3 people every day
3. Play the appreciation game & find the good in all things (especially the challenging ones)
4. Carry a physical token of gratitude in your pocket, such as a heart-shaped stone, crystal, or some other small item, as a reminder to be grateful
5. Remember to appreciate the smallest blessings (a roof over our head, food in the refrigerator, clean water to drink…)
6. Appreciate our own positive attributes, growth and accomplishments
It may not feel natural at first to focus on appreciating what you already have, but by consistently practicing these six daily habits of gratitude, we can change our attitude and invite joy into our lives.
May your day be filled with gratitude and good things.